Friday 18 May 2012

Hamell On Trial - Choochtown

I understand that Ed Hamell aka Hamell On Trial is going to record a new album. The last album of new compositions Songs For Parents Who Enjoy Drugs came out in in 2006, so its been a while. That was released on Ani Difranco’s record label Righteous Babe and was produced by her. In the main produced badly. When Hamell plays live he's a sweaty one man band acoustic guitar machine gun attack. None of that was captured as it was on the 2008 live album on his one man show The Terrorism Of Everyday Life at the Edinburgh festival. Without a record label behind him the new album has a small budget. So I’m sure it'll be good as it was with the brilliant Choochtown released in 2000 that was recorded in his basement. When I first heard that album with the intertwining stories about low level criminals and fuck ups in the heart of the city I thought it may be an album that I will visit regularly in years to come. I was right. I heard it today for the first time in a while and it sounds as good as ever.

No comments: