Wednesday 4 April 2012

Elbow - Cast Of Thousands

The last Elbow album Build A Rocket Boys! didn’t make it onto any end of year lists that I came across. Sure there were many great albums released last year that never came anywhere near a list but after the success of The Seldom Seen Kid the follow up was an anticipated realise.
For me I was hoping that after finding success and acclaim they might go into the studio and make a real interesting record like Asleep In The Back or Cast of Thousands. But I had a feeling that they would walk down the middle of the road to keep the new fans happy with a couple of epic uplifting songs that will be played over sporting montages.
And that’s what they did but with the bland button on the mixing desk turned on full.
I watched their Glastonbury performance on the TV and it was painfully bland. Plus does Guy Garvey have to have a laugh and joke with the audience between every song? Get the fuck on with it!
I’m being hard on them because I know they’re capable of great work. And for me their best is their second album Cast of Thousands.

No comments: